So there’s been a small problem in the bathroom in the basement…the sink was leaking pretty bad…all the freakin’ time. So I shut the water off to the sink, which then also had the unfortunate side effect of also shutting off water to the toilet.
Whenever anyone wanted to use the basement toilet, they had to turn the water back on to flush it. That worked ok, until the handle to the valve broke, and then the water needed to be shut off with a wrench attached to the valve. One thing after another, lol.
I finally decided it was time to try and fix it…I ordered a new sink to replace the old one, and spent a couple days trying to install it. Normally, installing a sink isn’t a big deal, but every pipe down there was rusted and broke on me. Pretty sad. But…
the sink is in, the toilet is working, and I’m happy. 🙂
I plan on calling a plumber to eventually update the plumbing down there so the toilet is on it’s own line, separate from the sink. But for now, this works! 🙂
Dropped the old sink trying to carry it out to the garbage…oops!
It took a bunch of weekends, but I did it! This was a ton of work, but totally worth it! 🙂
Check it out!
Paint, stains, damaged wood…
Got it all sanded and covered!
I had to do everything in sections, so I could still go upstairs to use the bathroom!
Worked on every other stair so I could still go up and down 🙂
I decided to pull off the carpet from my stairs and second landing a few weeks ago. I had no idea how big the project was going to be until the carpet was off. There was so much dirt under the carpet, I decided I’m never putting it down again. Pretty gross!!!
After I pulled out a million tacks and hammered down some old nails, I realized the floor underneath wasn’t terrible, but still needs a lot of work. I swept up the dirt about 50 times, and then painted the risers white, to look a little better.
Now I’m working on sanding. And it’s taking forreevveerrrrrr! I have a square hand sander that kicks up so much dust, I have to do it in short increments. Once I’m done with that, I’m going to put on a couple poly coats — not too interested in staining it, since it’ll match the rest of the hardwood with just the poly. I’ll post more pictures when I get further!
A few nights ago, our old firepit rusted out. Ashes started falling onto the patio. I was not a happy camper.
This afternoon, I built a new one.
I went to Home Depot and picked up 22 retaining wall stones, 2 bags of general purpose gravel and 1 bag of paver sand. I wish I had gotten 1 extra bag of gravel, but it worked out in the end.
Around $50 and a few Lime-A-Rita’s later, this is the result:
Laying out the initial shape – I put sand around the stones to mark it. You can see the old firepit to the right.
Digging out the turf of the circle.
Digging a little outside the initial circle for the gravel.
This is where I put all the extra turf…heh
Adding gravel and hand tampering to level it out
Laying down first layer of stones. After this, I poured a bag of sand in the center.
All done! I took the old rusted firepit and placed it in the middle.
The sides make great foot rests, too!